събота, 13 декември 2008 г.

Obama helped me fix my XBOX 360

In fact the Xbox wasn't mine and Obama actually did nothing to help me fix it, but it would have been nice. Anyway it is a nice title for article when you hope for the search engine to index your blog and increase the number of visitors especially with hits from people working for the "agencies".

It is all about Micro$oft. Officially they don't sell Xbox 360 in Bulgaria (not to be mistaken with Romania) and they don't support them here. You can't register in Xbox Live 'cause there is no Bulgaria in the "Country" drop down list. You can't claim your warranty or get your unit replaced when it stops working, and in the end you pay ~400 euro (that is not M$'s fault) .

In fact M$ has nothing to do with all the above (but again ... hopefully the search engine, the hits, the popularity... you know).. They just don't have Bulgaria in the list of countries they provide support for Xbox.

Everything starts with a X clamp and finishes with a X clamp (click here if you haven't seen how it looks like). Did they(M$) named XBox after the X clamp they are using in the motherboard of the console? That wouldn't be so smart if they knew the same X clamp would cause them so much trouble with the so called "3 lights of death" or GPU overheating. They would eventually have to remove this X clamp in the future and the console would be named Box 360 :)
The XBox on the picture is not mine and belongs to a friend of mine. One day during the hot summer days the console started blinking in red (the light diodes near the power on/off button) and even it was only an year since it was bought the warranty would not cover because what I mentioned in the beginning. The solution: A brand new XBox Elite. That is what this friend of mine did and this left him with 2 XBox's one of which was really X(ex) and really "box".
I have PS2 and it works fine, but I can't play with my friend because he owns XBox, so I borrowed his XBrick and tried to fix it. I watched several movies on Youtube explaining how to attack this particular issue with GPU overheating and it worked.
Following the instructions from the movies I disassembled the box of the console. A really tricky task to do.



Then I removed the heat sinks from the CPU and GPU. They are fixed with the popular X clamp which you have to throw away and replace it with 4 screws, several washers and nuts.







This will improve the adhesion between the CPU/GPU and the heat sink as the poor adhesion supported by the X clamp was the main reason for the overheating.
One important step in the process of fixing "3 lights of dead" issue is the last step where you have to make your Xbox GPU overheat for 10-15 minutes while the CPU is kept cool. This is done by placing the cooling fans of your console on top of the CPU while the console is turned on. Actually I don't have clear explanation why you should do that, but that is what they advise you (the guys from the movies on Youtube).

There are plenty of movies and manuals (free or commercial) which guide you step by step how to fix your XBox 360, and with this post I will not create another one. I just want to confirm that the fix worked for me. Well not from the first time (I hade to attach/detach the heat sinks several times until I made it good) .



The Moral of the post is: M$ should not use X clamp in the X Box as XMan or X-Wing never used such and never failed. I saw that on TV.